Offering spectacular views and an incredible location on the Pohutukawa Coast in Auckland’s east, families flock to this popular beach every summer. An early European settlement, Maraetai means ‘meeting place by the sea’ in Māori and the name is just as appropriate today.
The neighbouring Beachlands area also has three small, safe swimming beaches – Sunkist Bay, Shelley Bay and Green Bay. These sheltered white sand beaches are part of the Pohutukawa Coast, named for New Zealand’s native trees that make the coastline even more spectacular when their flaming blooms arrive in summer.
- The whole family can enjoy safe swimming at any of these beaches.
- Relax with a picnic on the grass verges.
- Take the young ones to explore the rocks and collect seashells.
- Check out the loop tracks at Omana Regional Park.
- After a swim, the kids can hop on the playground next to the beach.
- Boaties can use the boat ramp beside the Maraetai Beach Boating Club.
- Take a scenic drive along the beautiful Pohutukawa Coast.