Make an enquiry
Medlands Beach (Oruawharo) is the most popular beach on Great Barrier Island – Aotea, a remote island in the Hauraki Gulf that is celebrated for its unspoilt natural beauty.
Great Barrier Island is just a 30 minute flight by light plane or helicopter, and is also accessible by ferry or boat.
Medlands Beach is part of an island that is alive with pristine wilderness, a nature lover’s paradise. The beach itself has easy access and is just a 10 minute drive from Claris Airport and a 15 minute drive from the ferry terminal at Tryphena.
- Medlands is one of the island’s best surfing beaches, so bring your board.
- Enjoy a refreshing swim surrounded by stunning scenery.
- Take the kids to explore the expansive dunes and the shallow streams at either end of the bay.
- Drop a line in the water and fish off the beach or rocks.
- Explore some of the excellent walking trails nearby – Great Barrier Island – Aotea’s tracks wind through bush-clad mountains, hot thermal springs, rare native flora and fauna and historic sites.
- Stay at the Department of Conservation camping ground, or enjoy the comforts of other local accommodation.