With its golden sands, calm blue waters and grassy surrounds, this is the ultimate family-friendly regional park.
Wenderholm is about a 40 minute drive north of the Auckland CBD and makes a perfect day trip destination for groups of any size and age.
Relax on the flat, grassy picnic areas under the shade of a pohutukawa tree, discover the history of the area, and make the most of the tranquil white sand beach.
- Take a dip – Wenderholm is a great swimming spot.
- Hire a kayak and paddle up the river to the historical Bohemian village of Puhoi.
- Explore the native forest walks that climb the park's headland for fantastic views out to the Hauraki Gulf.
- Walk through the beautiful historic Couldrey House and Garden.
- Enjoy a longer stay – set up camp at the campground or book one of the baches.
- Popular Orewa Beach and the hot pools at Waiwera are both just minutes’ drive away.
Need to know
- You can book a picnic or BBQ spot on the flat grassy areas and spend the day.
- There is a boat ramp where small to medium boats can launch either side of high tide.
Outdoor Safety Code
- Plan your trip
- Tell someone
- Be aware of the weather
- Know your limits
- Take sufficient supplies
Contact the nearest DOC visitor centre for the latest information about facilities and conditions. For more information, please click here.
Learn how to minimise your environmental impact while enjoying natural and cultural heritage areas.
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Travel and walk on marked tracks
- Dispose of waste properly
- Leave what you find
- Eliminate the risk of fire
- Respect wildlife and farm animals
- Be considerate of others
For more information, please click here.
The Water Safety Code
- Be prepared
- Watch out for yourself and others
- Be aware of the dangers
- Know your limits
For further safety information you can take when enjoying yourself in, on and under the water please click here.