CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is an internationally recognised teacher training course that will give you the qualification you need to teach English to speakers of other languages in any country, both English and non-English speaking.
Who is CELTA for?
- Looking for a career change.
- Planning on moving or travelling overseas, eager to meet and know people from all walks of life.
- Interested in gaining an internationally recognized teaching qualification.
- Passionate about getting practical knowledge, hands-on teaching experience and essential classroom confidence.
- A recent graduate with little or no teaching experience.
- A teacher of other subjects wanting to retrain as an English language teacher.
“I took the CELTA at NZLC initially because I wanted to do it as soon as possible and NZLC was the school that was offering it the soonest to when I started looking. I didn't think much about the differences between doing it in 5 weeks or 4 weeks beforehand. But now that I've done it, I couldn't imagine doing the 4 week course. The CELTA is stressful and compact and shortening it more sounds extremely intense." - Johnathan P
- NZLC offers a unique 5-week course instead of the more usual 4-week course, so students have more time to research written assignments and plan lessons. Students can have a greater enjoyment of the whole experience with less pressure/reduced stress.
- NZLC is a Cambridge Assessment English approved centres
- Over 95% passing rate
- Over 80% of our graduates find employment in ELT after completing the course
- A reputable NZQA Category 1 Language School with over 500 students from 25 different countries
- Winner of the ST Star Award English School in the Southern Hemisphere 5 years in a row!
- In-course and post-course employment support, including job workshops, Q&A session on how to get your first teaching job delivered by NZLC’s Academic Department, job placement support etc.
- Be trained by our internationally experienced tutors who have undergone a rigorous selection and training process that is monitored by Cambridge.
What is the basic CELTA course content?
The core of the course is six hours of teaching practice. In this time, CELTA students teach a variety of lesson types to adult learners of English at two different levels. The supervised teaching practice is supported with guided lesson planning and personalised feedback on lessons. There are seminars or workshops each day, which include demonstration lessons, discussion of teaching principles and techniques, materials evaluation, and language analysis for teaching purposes. The course also includes teaching practice and an assessed lesson with pre-intermediate level students in the final week, and much more.
There are no lessons on public holidays and weekends.
How much does the course cost?
Total of NZ $3,400 including GST, including:
- Enrolment Fee: $250
- Material Fee: $100
- Cambridge ESOL Fee: $300
- Tuition Fee: $2750
Who can apply for CELTA?
CELTA is suitable for native speakers of English, but is also open to non-native speakers who have native speaker competence in both spoken and written English.
Applicants must fulfil the following requirements:
- be aged 18 +
- be a native English speaker or have an equivalent level in English (C1+ to C2 or Advanced CAE ‘A’ or ‘B’ grade or IELTS 7.5)
- meet the academic Requirement (University Entrance (UE) or equivalent)
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of practice teaching
NZLC is an Equal Opportunities employer and training centre. We welcome applications from all adults regardless of age, race, gender, physical ability or sexual orientation.
Cambridge CELTA Course
Pilkingtons presents our - Bottomless & Long Lunch.
Due to high demand, we are excited to let you know we are re-launching out Bottomless & Lunch, running every Saturday only - Partnering with Graham Norton Sauvignon Blanc.
"Where Fresh Produce & Community Meet" - Freyberg Place, High St in the heart of the city. A weekly fresh produce market for Auckland city centre apartment dwellers, their friends and visitors to the city centre.
Mark your calendars, the Gallery, including its shop and café will be open late on Fridays from 10 am–9 pm.
Enjoy late-night shopping, entry to all exhibitions after-hours and a regular Friday night, 4 - 6 pm happy hour at our café.
Join host Hayley Sproull as she puts Urzila Carlson, Vaughan Smith, and a panel of other sharp comedians through their paces whilst testing their knowledge of all things pop culture, current affairs, sport, and entertainment from the past week!
Roger Manins Trio Winter Residency
No cover charge.
Acclaimed saxophonist Roger Manins, leads a Friday night residency at Tony’s Lord Nelson restaurant. Classic jazz standards, served up alongside great steaks at one of Auckland’s longest-operating restaurants.