Spend the day on a Māori marae (meeting house) participating in workshops that focus on leadership, values, customs, sustainability and the connection of people, place and environment.
- experience a pōwhiri (Māori welcoming ceremony involving speeches, dancing, singing)
- learn about the history of the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei people (Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei is a Māori tribe located near central Auckland)
- learn about the traditions and customs of the Māori people
- meet iwi (tribe) leaders and youth council members
- learn about Māori song, dance, language and crafts
- participate in a shared morning tea and lunch
- learn about the work Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei does in the community and with Auckland and New Zealand business groups
- learn about the four key values of the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei people and how these values influence their leadership decisions
- take a guided walk to learn how Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei’s deep respect for the land and water informs their environmental conservation and regeneration work.
Rukuhia is a programme designed and delivered by the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei people of Auckland and supported by Study Auckland and Education New Zealand.
The day-long programme will be offered free of charge for a limited number of international students during the trial phase.
Please apply to join a select group of students on this deep dive into Māori culture and traditions. Make sure you tell us why you would like to participate so we can select the most suitable students to join the programme.
Study Auckland will notify all applicants closer to the event dates to let you know if your application has been successful.