Auckland’s construction industry is going through unprecedented growth.
Our skills shortage means great jobs are ready and waiting, including work in New Zealand’s largest construction and infrastructure projects.
Planned work in Auckland includes:
- new residential builds – including more apartments (particularly in the central city) and special housing areas (government initiatives to meet housing needs)
- civil work – including roads, rail and interchanges for bus/train, residential subdivisions, water, wastewater, stormwater
- retirement villages – both new and expansions
- student accommodation
- new town centres and improvements to older suburbs
- commercial – including retail, mixed-use developments (mix of residential, retail, office and parking), hotels, flexible-plan commercial buildings, airport and school expansions, car parking, civic and university buildings, theatres, and tourist, sporting and zoo facilities.
Source: Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment National Construction Pipeline Report 2016
Top job opportunities
Auckland’s top construction-related job opportunities are expected to grow significantly between 2015 and 2021:
*Source: Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment Future demand for construction workers July 2016
There are also numerous opportunities for trades workers, including plumbers, electricians, carpenters and joiners, building and plumbing labourers, and electrical distribution trades workers. Employment in construction and infrastructure in Auckland is expected to grow by 32,000 jobs between 2015 and 2021.