The New Zealand School of Food and Wine

Private Training Establishments in Auckland

Contact details

The New Zealand School of Food and Wine has been educating the next generation of chefs, restaurant and cafe owner, wine professionals and food lovers since 1995.

Founded by Celia Hay and located in Auckland's Viaduct, our programmes are taught by a team of industry professionals, chefs and wine educators who are experts in their field. Accredited to the British WSET Wine and Spirit Trust qualifications, our wine programmes are respected and recognised worldwide. NZSFW also offers NZQA qualifications eligible for student loans and allowances.

​Courses and Programmes

Certificate in Cookery Level 3 Certificate in Cookery (Advanced) Certificate in Professional Wine Knowledge (Sommelier) Certificate in Food & Beverage Level 3 Certificate in Food & Beverage Level 4 Certificate in Hospitality Level 5 Barista Intensive, 2 weeks Barista, 3 day Certificate in Wine Beginners course to open your food business High School Holiday Courses Food Safety etc

​More Information

The New Zealand School of Food and Wine is a medium sized school. We run a lot of very popular short courses, as well as the Full Time courses. With our small classes, we run very hands on practical classes. which allow for a lot of one on one time with tutors. We have a 25% international student population.

  • Is the New Zealand School of Food & Wine a government approved school? Yes, NZSFW is a government registered and accredited school and all programs and courses have been approved by NZQA.

NZSFW received the highest ranking in its recent government audit in late 2010. We are also a signatory to the Ministry of Education's Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students that allows international to enrol with us and be eligible to apply for a student visa.

  • I am under 18 years of age, can I study at NZSFW?

Yes, if you are a New Zealand citizen you may join the Foundation programs in cookery or hospitality when you are 17 years of age but international students must be 18 years of age. For all other programs and courses you must be 18 years of age unless a special exemption has been granted.

  • How many students will be in my class?

Cookery classes have a maximum of 16 students although on some occasions two classes may join together for theory or to listen to a guest speaker. Wine classes have a maximum of 14 students. Most class sizes are between 12 and 16.

  • Are there any loans, allowances or scholarships available to help me with my fees?

Yes, New Zealand students are eligible to apply to the New Zealand government loans and allowances scheme. As well, you may apply for NZSFW Scholarships available to foundation program applicants. International students are not eligible for any New Zealand government financial support or NZSFW Scholarships.

  • What are the fees for the programs?

All fees are listed on the individual course pages to which they relate. Fees are different for New Zealand and international students in 12 week or more programs.

  • How easy will it be for me to get a job after I finish the program?

NZSFW provides a Graduate Placement Service for all enrolled students. We will provide assistance and advice with CV preparation, interview skills and have an excellent relationship with many local hospitality employers. If you have successfully passed your course you should have no difficulty finding a position in an industry that requires high quality graduates.

  • Who can help me with a problem during my studies?

We pride ourselves on our pastoral care and support of all students. As a small school we provide a family like environment and all staff are keen to support and care for our students.

  • Can you help me find a place to live?

Yes, we can either provide you with information about finding your own place to live or can arrange a place in a local student halls of residence or apartment living accommodation. We charge a fee for this service - see the fees section.

  • Can you help me get to my accommodation from the airport?

Yes, we can meet you at the airport if you wish. There is a fee for this service. Otherwise you may choose to use the airport services available at the airport (bus, shuttle or taxi). This information is detailed in the enrolment section of the website.

  • Can I work part-time while I am studying?

If you are a New Zealand citizen you may work part-time during your studies. If you are an international student you cannot work part-time under the terms of your student visa.

  • Can I work in New Zealand after I have completed my studies if I am an international student?

You may be eligible to work in New Zealand under the Study to Work Scheme if your offer of employment relates to the course or qualification you have completed. It is best to check with New Zealand Immigration if you are considering this.

  • I am an international student applying for a program of 3 months or more - do I need a visa?

Yes, you need a student visa for all courses more than 3 months in length and this is obtained from New Zealand Immigration. You can apply from your home country or if you are in New Zealand. A student visa allows you to study full-time in New Zealand for a limited period of time and may have conditions attached to it. See

  • I am an international visitor or student applying for a 2 week course - do I need a student visa?

No, you do not need a student visa because the course is less than 3 calendar months. A visitor's visa is acceptable or any other temporary visa.


Level 3, 104 Customs Street West Auckland 1010