Whether you are a business looking to set up here, or an individual wanting to relocate and invest, New Zealand has visas to assist.

The Immigration New Zealand website guides you through the process, and you can also find out who can help by contacting our team. In the meantime, here’s an overview of visa pathways.

Businesses bringing key offshore staff to New Zealand

If you need to bring specialist people to Auckland to set up your business, there is a special visa category called the Employees of Relocating Business Resident Visa. The category exists to grant residence to employees considered essential to the operation of your business in New Zealand. This visa can assist people who would not qualify under the other categories. You can learn more on the New Zealand Immigration website.

Investment and entrepreneur visas

If you have capital and desirable skills, then New Zealand can offer dedicated investor and entrepreneur visas that open up opportunities for you to settle, or at least spend considerable time here. The scheme can also make provision for life partners and dependent children aged 24 and under.

If you or your staff have children, finding a good school and getting them settled will also be a priority. The New Zealand Immigration website provides excellent information on the national education system for immigrants to New Zealand.

Non-key staff from overseas

For an individual not defined as key staff by New Zealand Immigration, you need to show that the person has skills and experience required here, and that there are no suitable local residents to undertake the work. This excludes citizens or permanent residents from Australia, who do not need to apply for a visa to live and work in New Zealand. As long as they meet entry criteria, they can be granted a work visa on arrival. See the skill shortage checker or find out more about work visa options on the New Zealand Immigration website

Immigration advisors

If you need help or advice with your visa application, you can engage a licensed immigration advisor or New Zealand lawyer. But first check the register on the Immigration Advisors Authority (IAA) website to make sure you engage someone with a valid licence.
Find a licensed immigration advisor at IAA.
Find out who can give immigration advice at IAA.
Find a lawyer at the New Zealand Law Society.

We're here to help

Our consultants are ready to assist with independent, free advice. Get personalised insights or learn more about the Auckland economy

Contact us